Saturday, July 23, 2011

The Blessed book review

It is 1844 and Lacey Bishop’s life is a tangled mess. When circumstances move Lacey to a nearby Shaker village, she is not prepared for the new life that awaits her. In the midst of her deep loneliness, Lacey works to fit in with this odd group. But everything shifts when she finds herself drawn to a Shaker man in a village where such relationships are forbidden.


Can Lacey ever find true happiness in this mysterious place?


I have to say  that this review has been hard for me to write... maybe that is why this one is late getting posted.  Well, that is not really true.  The truth is I completely forgot about it until today! 
But in all honesty, I can't say that I have enjoyed this book.  For the most part the book is well written, but I just could not get a handle on the Shaker beliefs.   The leader of the group, is to be a reincarnation of Jesus.  Now if she would have had written this book differently, showing the movement as a cult, than I may have enjoyed it more.  But to be honest,  I just could not get around  all the false teaching that the characters were portraying to get a honest view of the story.   
Please don't take my opinion hard, I just have strong beliefs in Jesus that  when I read something that is so left field (from my beliefs), I just can't look past that point of view.

The book is well written! Lacey's spiritual faith grows, she learns who she is and so on...  I don't know how it end this review but to say, get the book read it and decide for yourself.

You can find  The Blessed by Ann H. Gabhart at your local bookstore.

This book was provided to me by Revell, a Baker Publishing Group, to read and review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Scripture of the Month

1 Thessalonians 5:24
Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it.

He is faithful to do all He has promised in his Word. I'm so glad that he is faithful to meet our needs and to give us our wants. There is no one Greater than OUR LORD and SAVIOR JESUS CHRIST!
Powered By Blogger