Monday, March 14, 2011

Building Godly Character Chapter 1

And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up. Deut. 6:7

This is my Scripture for homeschooling.  I believe as a mom it is my responsibility to teach my children good Christian Character.  Last year, I worked on some Character trait lessons and stories to use with my youngest school work. 

I have decided to share some stories I wrote with you my friends.

Here is a story that I wrote to deal with  our lesson on kindness:



Matthew 7:12


12Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.

                                                      The Echo
One day George was walking in the woods behind his house singing and shouting. He was surprised to hear it repeated. George looked around to see who was also in the woods.


“Who are you?” George called out and immediately and he heard the voice again. He called out again, only this time louder. “You are a fool.” “Fool” , replied the voice from the woods.


George was now beginning to get anger. “You are a no good, rotten person!” George began to shout to which was faithfully repeated by the voice.


George began to search for the little boy who he thought was mocking him. He searched everywhere. He looked by the river, looked under the huge rock cliffs and looked by the grove of trees in the field. He finally gave up and went home.


“Mom, there was a boy in the woods that was mocking me. I searched everywhere and I could not find him. He made me so mad!” George told his mom.


”George, I think you have made a mistake.” Mom replied. “ You did not hear another little boy in the woods, it was your voice that you heard , an echo, just like when you look at a mirror and see your face reflected in it. If you would have spoken kindly to the voice, you would have heard kind words in return.” Mom continued, “ It is just like the little boys that you meet, their action toward us is an echo of how we have acted toward them. If we treat others kindly, they will in turn treat us kindly. But if we treat others rude and unkind, they will treat us rude and unkind.”


George stated exactly, “ Just like the golden rule.”


Mom replied happily , “ Yes, just like the golden rule…. Treat others as you would be treated.”




Thinking thru the story:


1. What did George think was in the woods with him?


2. What happened when the voice did not answer George?


3. What did George think the voice was doing?


4. Mom told George that the voice was what?


5. How will others treat us if we treat them kindly? Rudely?




Show kindness to others today by:


• Speaking gentle words


• Do a good deed for someone


• Do not let anger take over your speech


 Next week I will post another story in BUILDING GODLY CHARACTER
 
Happy Homeschooling!
Shelby

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Scripture of the Month

1 Thessalonians 5:24
Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it.

He is faithful to do all He has promised in his Word. I'm so glad that he is faithful to meet our needs and to give us our wants. There is no one Greater than OUR LORD and SAVIOR JESUS CHRIST!
Powered By Blogger